Family Support and Education
Healthy, supported families that feel confident in their parenting skills and their ability to access needed resources are crucial to children’s success and readiness for school. Through collaborative relationships with a variety of organizations and agencies the Partnership strives to meet the needs of families with young children.
In addition to the Parents as Teacher Program the Partnership offers:
- In collaboration with Regional Childcare Resources and Referral, families can access referrals for a variety of childcare options by clicking here.
- A Resource Lending Library for parents and caregivers. Our CCR&R houses an extensive resource lending library for early for childhood educators, parents and caregivers. The library contains materials, books and DVDs on various topics related to early childhood education as well as a collection of children’s books. Additionally the library offers Ellison die cuts, a small laminator and color copy machine. The laminator and copier do have a nominal fee associated with their use.
- Through a countywide collaborative effort and funding from the NC Division of Public Health the Partnership is the administrator of Young Moms Connect. Working with the Rockingham County Department of Public Health, the Rockingham Pregnancy Care Center, the Student Health Centers, Rockingham County Schools and Help, Inc. the Young Moms Connect program works to strengthen and expand services for pregnant and parenting 13-24 year olds. Additional information about Young Moms Connect can be found here.
- Parent Trainings-throughout the year the Partnership offers opportunities for parents to strengthen their own skills through workshop and networking opportunities.
- Beginning in 2012, Reach Out and Read© will be offered to children ages birth-5 who are patients of Premier Pediatrics in Eden, the Rockingham County Department of Public Health Primary Care Clinic in Wentworth, Western Rockingham Family Medicine in Madison, Triad Medicine and Pediatric Associates in Reidsville, Reidsville Family Medicine, Family Practice of Eden and Morehead Pediatric Associates. At well child check-ups children will receive a new book and parents will receive information about reading to children and the importance of reading. More information about Reach Out and Read® is available here.
Collaborative partners in the county also offer services to families with young children.
Check out our Reading Rockstars Parent Conference on January 26, 2013 by clicking here.
These services include:
- Through a partnership with the Department of Social Services the Partnership for Children allocates funding to help subsidize the cost of child care for eligible families. Additional information about child care subsidy can be obtained by calling (336) 349-5629 or (336) 349-3478.
- Newborn Home Visits by the Rockingham County Department of Public Health. For more information contact the Health Department at (336) 342-8151.
- Counseling services for young children who have witnessed or experienced violence or trauma are available at Help, Inc. Help, Inc. offers an array of services related to domestic violence, sexual assault and the prevention of both including support services to parents and children. Help, Inc. can be reached at (336) 342-3331.
- Parenting and pregnancy support for families with children prenatal to age 1 is available at the Rockingham Pregnancy Care Center, (336) 623-5540.
- Early childhood education materials and resources for families are available through the Parent Resource Centers (PRC) operated by Rockingham County Schools. For more information contact the PRC in Reidsville at (336) 342-8588 or in Eden at (336) 623-8098.